Monday, March 17, 2008

Movie Review Monday

For Your Consideration





I'm not a HUGE Christopher Guest fan, in that I don't love love love everything he does, however Best in Show and This is Spinal Tap are two of my favorite movies. That being said the best word to describe this film is simply unfunny. How can so many funny people come together and not say or do one funny thing? Even an appearance by Ricky Gervais didn't help at all. I give this move a big SKIP IT. Go rent Best in Show and hope that Guest's next offering will have a little more zing to it.





No Country For Old Men





First of all I'm immediately suspicious of any movie winning the Oscar for Best Film. I think back to some glorious pieces of garbage that won, Million Dollar Baby and Babel, both of which were in my estimation the worst movies I have ever seen....ever. Unfortunately this Best Film for 2007 is no exception. Again, I love a lot of the Coen brothers work and come on, if you know me, you know that I love The Big Lebowski. I base most of my opinions of people on whether or not they like the "Dude". However this movie is a bust. It starts out pretty good, but about half way through it just stops going anywhere and you just stop caring. I think Josh Brolin did an excellent job, but Javier Bardem (who won best supporting actor) was the weakest of all. Here's a movie review I found that sums up what I think, in a more eloquent professional way. I give this movie a moderate SKIP IT.

http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/no-country-for-old-men/5687




The Business of Being Born



WOW. That's all I can say. This little documentary riveted me to my toes. It takes a hard look at birth in America and where we've gone wrong. While some may say its pretty one sided, focusing on home birth and midwives, it does offer some pretty interesting statistics and facts. It sums up everything I was thinking while I was doing research in preparation for my own birth. This is a total must see for anyone pregnant or ever thinking about having a baby. You can watch it on demand on Netflix if you have Netflix. I give this movie a huge DON'T MISS IT.


Tell me what you think about these movies. Also feel free to suggest any movies you think I should watch and possibly do a bad job at reviewing!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I rented "Mr. Woodcock" and "The Brave One" this weekend and both were good. The first is pretty much self-explanatory, run-of-the-mill immature humor (which I like) and the second is not for the weak...but really good! Have you seen either?

Gina said...

I saw the brave one, it was definitely one of the better movies I have seen recently. It really fueled Kirby's "everyone should carry a concealed weapon" fire. I haven't seen mr woodcock but Bad Santa with Billy bob is one of my all time favorites. A true holiday classic.